“The pipeline handles the flow of the data as it travels through the stages of the production“
I worked on a good many productions where I either was part of the implementation process of the pipeline. Or I was responsible for the whole production and therefore had a leading role in the design and set up of the pipeline and the production management.
- What is a Pipeline:
There are various types of pipelines (e.g. for production, data or
approval). Often people tend to think of pipelines as an integrated
pipeline to control and manage the data and the work-flow.
A pipeline is really about analysing and describing processes and work-flows. They are not the program or script itself - they are the idea behind the program - and eventually become transformed into code eventually. Theses processes tend to vary a lot between studios as well as individual productions. And they are also different for VFX, CGI, S3D, Cel Animation and Stop Motion productions.
- Pipeline Generally: I design, plan and integrate pipelines and provide workflow and
process definition as well as database creation and integration. This is either done on customers' in-house resources (programmer and code) or with the help of external tools and programmers. I also created pipeline workflows for CGI, VFX and stereoscopic productions.
- Milestone Pipeline: The feature film “Jasper - Journey to the End of
the World”. Where five companies, in three countries and
six cities had to work together. I designed a pipeline where all the
data was hosted on a central server and the data and task transfer was
handled by pipeline tools and via our database that we developed
- Database: Excel, Filemaker, Shotgun, SQLite & Entity-Relationship-Modeling
- Scripting: MEL, Python & SQL
- Look development: Converting and expanding designs into shading, lighting and compositing.
- Visual story development: Working with producers, writes and directors on techniques and technology for visual style.
- Studio set-up:
- Recruiting and assembling of crews and departments
- Pipeline work-flow and process definition:
- Database: Design, planning and implementation as well integration with existing environment
- Production budgeting: Calculating cost and size of crew
- Production planning: Production plans from pre-production to compositing